Tuesday 28 January 2020


                                   
                    Portrait by Vasili Perov, 1872

          Dostoevsky (credit: Vasily Perov, Wikimedia Commons)





Dream


Is any man's best hero ever himself?

The pictures in my head, I touch them up.
The tones can be enhanced by subtle shades.
A feature here obscured or there re-traced
My image of the Hero, against the sky
Could be torn out -- blood-fringed -- but not erased
Not changed in size or posture very much.
A giant form, impassioned, strong ... and such.

Too large to ever fill? By God, no way!
I'll die. I'll burn in Hell before I'll say
I've shrunk my dream to match the everyday.

To live and never dream lives not at all;
It wanders numb, not knowing Awe or Fear.
To dream and never live is to love Death
And be a coward Joy will not come near.

But dream of dreaming, life becomes a song
A rapt, unending, haunting melody
Of rhythm deep, insistent, intricate
And lyric strange, of words and thoughts outlawed
That swell the singer's certainty of God.


                      

                                              Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog
                 (Caspar David Friedrich, via Wikimedia Commons)


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts now? Comment and I will reply. I promise.