Tuesday 9 June 2015

I've just come back from an "Imagine No Religion" conference in Richmond. Speakers included Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Matt Dillahunty, and lots of others. No Sam Harris though. I think he is becoming something of an embarrassment to the atheist/secularist movement. Anyway, here is why Sam is now persona non grata.

And by the way, it's worth saying: to the moral realism question, the people in Richmond had zero answers. I asked, in front of the mike, and on the sidelines. They don't even get the question. They're drifting on the values and habits of their childhood. Not good enough, folks. Not in these times.


Ah, well. Rant over. Here's an article on silly Sam. I admire in him the fact that he at least tried to tackle the moral realism question. Unsuccessfully, but at least he tried (in "The Moral Landscape").

But he is silly Sam in too many other ways.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/10/why_does_anyone_take_sam_harris_seriously/





No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts now? Comment and I will reply. I promise.