Friday 14 April 2017

                          

                                                             Portrait of a young girl (Peter Chrestus) 
                                                                                (credit: Wikipedia) 


We have a reasonable chance of surviving on into the future only if we can work out a new moral code that we can all agree to live by. Every other path into the future is shadowed by a high probability of disaster. That is the dark side of the power Science has given us.

This book is an attempt to solve the dilemma of our time, the dilemma called moral relativism that has left us not so much struggling to live up to our ideals as wondering what those ideals are, and whether such things as ideals are even relevant in our world today. Moral relativism is a position in Philosophy that simply says there is no basis in the factual, scientific world for any moral values. "Right" and "wrong" are words that may make sense in a particular society at a particular time, but they are only tastes that most of the people in that society agree on for the time being. They change from era to era and place to place. In short, the only reasonable thing that one can say about morality, according to the moral relativists, is: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

On the other hand, moral realism says that there must be a factual, scientific basis for moral values, and then its adherents set out, with varying degrees of success, to try to find that basis.

In this book, I will work out a solution to that dilemma, a solution based not on so-called "holy texts" or personal epiphanies, but on reason backed by replicable evidence. However, I admit that readers will have to give their full attention to following the arguments I present here. My arguments aim to fill a tall order; they can’t be explained in a line or two.


I will try very hard to make my overall case a rigorously logical one, but I know it is also very much a personal one. I don’t apologize for this admission. I will discuss matters I believe are profoundly important for us all. My case is both logical and anecdotal, and my tone has to be both rational and personal. As the philosopher David Hume said, feelings drive thoughts and actions, not vice versa.5


   

                                                             By OmaOpEenBakfiets (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0                                                                                    (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)] 

                                                                                     (credit: Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts now? Comment and I will reply. I promise.